I definitely didn't take as many photographs this year as I have in the last few...having a second child made me forget I even owned a camera some weeks. Regardless, I had a lot of fun putting this together...pulling files from the old Mac onto the new, sourcing music (more on that in a second) and generally reliving some great moments and memories from 2010 for our little what-started-out-as-a-family-of-three-and-is-now-a-family-of-four.
About the music, and a somewhat major tangent. A few months ago, I discovered the blog Pacing the Panic Room, by the talented photographer and writer, Ryan Marshall. Right around the time that I started reading, he published this post announcing the release of Do Fun Stuff, an album of kids music that he organized to raise money for research into Smith Magenis Syndrome, a developmental disorder. Prior to reading Pacing the Panic Room, I knew nothing about SMS. Being a bit of an internet addict I spent the better part of one evening reading the heartwarming and at times, heart-wrenching stories Ryan and other parents and caregivers have shared about parenting children with SMS; I won't even try to honor (or dishonor) their personal experiences here because they do a far better job of expressing their thoughts than I would do paraphrasing them, however I will say that I am always inspired by people who manage to mobilize themselves to action in the way Ryan has to benefit something they care deeply about. I find it even more inspiring when a parent is able to do this for something that effects their own child. It's an amazing strength.
If you are interested in learning more about SMS or Ryan and his photography and writing work, I strongly encourage you to take some time to read his blog. Also, take a listen to some of the songs from Do Fun Stuff, which can be found here on iTunes (it's great - original children's music that doesn't make your toes curl and your head hurt!). If you're so inclined, buy the album. 100% of the money raised from its sale will go towards funding SMS research. There aren't many large charities that can claim that nowadays. It's nice to know that every cent of your donation is being put to good use.
Tangent completed, Do Fun Stuff is how I discovered a new to me band, Rabbit, and two of the three songs that I used in 2010's Year in Photos. The first, "Now That I've Found You," and the second, "Magic," are both from their album Connect the Dots, also available on iTunes. The third is "Cupcakes" by Christophe Beck, and I just love it.
This year has brought tremendous change to us. We welcomed our daughter into the world, saw our son turn four, I left my 12-year career with my company to be a stay at home mom for a while and to pursue other, more creative, wage-earning options that will afford more work-life balance (note to self: invest some time in 2011 to finding a snappier way to describe that). There have been adjustments, periods of uncertainty, days when I questioned what in the hell I was doing. On the balance though, 2010 has been one of my favorite years. I feel like I say that at the end of every year. This time I really mean it. I'm nothing but excited about what 2011 will bring.
For those of you who read here, thank you for stopping by and checking in. If you're into it, leave me a comment and let me know you're out there. Happy New Year to you and yours.
On to the photos.
2010 Photos from Carrie Hill on Vimeo.
4 comments:
Wow! That was incredibly sweet. I am so glad that you bought the album and love the tunes, but even more grateful that you took the time to learn about SMS. That means so much. Thank you.
What a wonderful wrap up to 2010. Happy New Year! Love, Nanny
Hey there! On the topic of children's music that doesn't make your toes curl... have you heard of Sandra Boynton? She does some really creative stuff. She's got several board books out, and has done a few book/albums with names like "Rhinocerous Tap," "Philadelphia Chickens," "Dog Train," "Blue Moo." She uses adult styles of music but writes such clever lyrics that it's just fun to listen to.
Glad to see you're well! The kids are adorable! :)
@The Panic Room - Many thanks for your kind note!
@ Nanny - It's been a hell of a year!
@ Mama Bec - So nice to hear from you. Thanks for the recommendations! We have some Boynton books and I've always loved reading them with the kiddos.
Post a Comment