Jan 11, 2009

28 Months

Alexander,

One of my resolutions for 2009 is to be better about writing your monthly letters again, so I'm getting a jump on things in your 28th month and posting a day early.



You've had a fantastic four months since your second birthday of growing, growing, more growing. So much growing, in fact, that I was pleasantly surprised that the majority of your Christmas clothing gifts fell mostly into the 3T size category, as you're nearly three feet tall at present with no stop in sight to the growth.




















The day before Christmas, Daddy took you for new shoes - a good thing since nothing that we purchased for you in the fall fit. You love these new shoes, mostly I think because you can successfully put them on and take them off, completely without our assistance. Every morning when you complete your transition from nearly awake and angry at the world to the happy little guy we know you ask to put on your shoes. And, each night when we take them off you're very interested in where we're putting them so you'll be able to find them in the morning.

New shoes and new inches aren't all that's new for you lately. You've completely fallen in love with Matchbox cars, something that I know pleases your Dad to no end. And, I've fallen in love with stepping on Matchbox cars while wearing socks (ouch), and watching you build garages out of blocks.

You're meticulous in how these garages have to look and you are absolutely committed to doing this without our help. So much so, in fact, that when I tried to assist you the other day, you held up your (now huge) hand and said, "No, Mommy. I build the garage now." It's not that you're not getting better at sharing, because you really have figured that out and are, most of the time, really pleasant when we have guests with children who want to play with you. You even gave Ryan one of your Thomas trains to take home with him during Rachel and Joe's last visit, which warmed my heart. I think this new found independence and desire to do things for yourself is wonderful, and it's certainly amazing to see the pride on your face when you get something just as you've envisioned it.



After a long break from work and school for the holidays, we fell back into our normal routine last Monday, and it seems that you were the most ready. When Daddy took you to school in the morning you literally ran into the building shouting the names of your teachers and friends. There was a time when this would have made me sad (what - you don't want to be with us again???!!!???), but I was so pleased when your Dad called me that afternoon to tell me about how excited you were. Periodically over the break we would talk about school, and you would name your friends, one by one, then ask me what each of them were doing. I love how much of an interest you're taking in what people you care about are doing. I love that school is a place where you feel safe and accepted. I love that your teachers were so happy to see you on Monday. I'm looking forward to all of the fun things you'll learn in the coming months!


This Christmas holiday was probably one of my favorites because it was your first where you really engaged in all of the preparations, understood (sort of) the whole giving and receiving of gifts thing, woke up on Christmas morning excited because "Mischris," (what you frequently call Santa Claus) had come during the night. A few nights before Christmas, we were looking at our Nativity Scene together, and I was explaining to you who everyone was. You picked up the baby Jesus and mentioned that you wanted to bring him to sleep with you that night because you were afraid he was lonely. You have such a big and kind heart, kiddo. I hope this is something that continues to grow with you.



Today is my birthday and this year Daddy asked you what you wanted to get me. You said, "cheese." I'm told that your Dad asked you this question numerous times and your answer was always cheese.



While cheese is one of my favorite things, I think wrapping a wheel of brie would have probably been difficult, plus slightly smelly so you and your Dad shopped Williams Sonoma this year and my gifts from you were cheese-themed - new serving boards, cheese knives, labels, etc. On Friday evening when I got home from work, you were waiting at the door for me with flowers.



And this morning, I woke up to a homemade card which you colored all by yourself. This was probably my favorite of all of my gifts this birthday and something I'll always treasure and save so I can remember the big-hearted, cheese-loving 28 month old you.

I love you, Alex,
Mommy

No comments: