Happy seventh, AND eighth months. I was intending to turn over a new leaf after your fourth and fifth month combined update. “What kind of mother am I that I can’t sit down once a month and write a simple letter to my growing son about his milestones and achievements?” A busy, working, slightly* sleep deprived mother, that’s the kind.
At first we thought it was another growth spurt, because you had experienced those before. So, we fed you. At first it was once, and on the rare case, twice a night. Then you would sleep for three or four nights uninterrupted, and start waking up again.
And the protests. My god, the protests. Your wakeup protests have rapidly escalated from your usual, “Hey, it’s me…I’m hungry/tired/bored/wet/otherwise…so when you have a brief moment to attend to me great, and in the meantime, I’ll be playing with my foot, so no worries here because I’m a self soother,” to “HEY – GET IN HERE – MY LEFT FOOT HAS MOST DEFINITELY BEEN SEVERED AT THE ANKLE AND THERE IS A GIANT PURPLE ELEPHANT HOPPING ON ONE FOOT AROUND MY ROOM THREATENING TO POUNCE ON ME.” On more than one occasion over the last two months your father* or I has awoken, and lunged out of bed and in the general direction of your room, usually stubbing a toe and tripping over a pair of my shoes that end up in the path to reach your bedside only to have you look up from your rant and give us one of your amazingly cute (at normal waking hours) toothless grins. Despite the smiles, we spent about two weeks saying to each other things like, “Our baby doesn’t cry like this in the middle of the night. There must be something wrong.” All stupid and new-parent crazy.
Our initial concerns were legitimate, to some degree. We had a hunch that you were teething. The timing was right, the nighttime wake ups a common indicator, and, of course, there was enough drool to sink a ship. Two months in, attempts at using Tylenol and Baby Motrin, and no teeth later, and we’re beginning to question the validity of the teething theory for now, although we know those days are fast approaching.
Then, we noticed that the waking became a response to rolling over and ending up on your belly. Why oh why, dear child, can’t you figure out that rolling over to your side or back at night is the same as rolling over during the day. During the day, you would roll from here to Baltimore if we let you; you are such a rolling machine. At night, it seems that the ability to roll takes a short pleasure cruise.
You’ve also learned how to be lazy, and I think this is even funnier to me than the rolling, as I see bits of myself in your personality at times like this. Lately if you’re lying on a blanket on the floor and you notice something in the distance that is just out of reach, instead of expending energy to roll yourself to it, you pull your blanket towards you to bring it closer, then with a giant stretch you get it. No rolling required.
Your unique and wonderful personality has continued to make you a hit at Play and Learn. Over April and May, Daddy was home more than we had originally expected, thus, you were at daycare much less than was becoming normal. Your teachers were always disappointed when we would call you out, and genuinely so happy to see you when you would return. And finally, I realized that your experiences there are good ones, and really important for you developmentally when one morning, I took you there after you had been away for a few days.
Now, if we could only figure out how to help you sleep 10-12 hours a night again, we’ll all be in good shape.
I love you, even at 3:00 in the morning*,
Mommy
* It should be noted that Skip wakes up with Alex about 99.9% of the time…because he is just that good, and I am fully aware that I do not deserve him. He also cooks and cleans. Let the barfing begin.
No comments:
Post a Comment