Dec 12, 2006

Month Three

Alexander,
Happy three months! You’ve passed beyond what Dr. Harvey Karp refers to as the “fourth trimester.” Your development in this month has been staggering – I can’t believe how much you’re growing and changing.

You laughed out loud for the first time tonight. That was the loveliest sound my ears have ever been fortunate enough to hear. Daddy was making silly faces while I was holding you and suddenly you let loose the most adorable string of giggles that lasted for about three minutes. After it ended we tried everything we could to get you to start again, but to no avail…so we learned tonight that you have a laugh, and that you’re also completely selective about when you choose to use it. We’re holding our breath for this to start again and I’m hoping that I’ll be quicker about retrieving the video camera next time.

You have discovered your hands and how to use them. Two weeks ago you started reaching and grabbing – purposeful hand movements. Your favorite toy is a red stuffed elephant. If she is in the area of your grasp you will lean towards her, often loosing your balance. Were it not for the diligent efforts of your father and I, you would be doing quite a few more face plants into the sofa. Your other favorite things lately are your feet. You watch them while on the changing table and while sitting on the sofa with Daddy and I. You’ve just about mastered grabbing for them, and when you miss you generally get your pants leg, making for quite a few terrific photo opportunities.

This month, we were sure you were going to experience your first illness, as two ugly afflictions descended on our home last week. At thirty, I suffered through my first case of strep throat, and was consigned to bed for four days by Daddy in efforts to keep my germs away from you. A mere day after I was able to manage more than three hours out of bed, Daddy returned from work with a terrible intestinal bug, and lived in the guest room for three days allowing me to take over your care again. We are investigating purchasing stock in Purell. I’m convinced that our obsessive use of it, along with repeated hand washing, and probably also the nursing had something to do with your not getting sick. The skin on our hands is about to fall off and our water bill will likely top $100 this month, but we really don’t care. When you enter day care your little immune system will be challenged quite enough, thank you very much. That is, unless Daddy and I actually go through with our initial idea of putting you into a bubble whenever we take you out of the house.

Daddy and I also had our first night out alone this month, and your Nanny Gigi came to stay with you. You were your usual wonderful self, prompting Nanny to think that we are far better parents than we actually are. In reality we’ve just been really lucky – the things that we tried with you worked and continue to do so resulting in a happy baby who sleeps through the night. We truly feel like the luckiest people since you have entered our lives and Alex, while I’m not suggesting this, I know for sure that our feelings about that would not change even if you stopped sleeping ten hours at night.

Love you,
Mommy

p.s. And don’t think for a second that we’ve forgotten that this month, you also pooped on me and threw up in Daddy’s hand. I just figured I would not mention this to save your embarrassment in the future…oops.

No comments: