Nov 15, 2006

Two Months...Three Shots...Four Long Car Rides...etc.

Alexander,

I’m having much difficulty believing that you’re already two months old! I’m having even more difficulty with the fact that I’m scheduled to return to work in six precious weeks. This time with you has flown and I feel sometimes that I’m just now beginning to appreciate it fully as it is winding to a close. While this makes me a little sad, I will always treasure the memories we’re creating in spending this time together, you and I.

You’re showcasing quite a personality lately. You’ve developed what the pediatricians call a social smile (i.e. one not caused by gas) and you are very generous in sharing it with the world. Your dad and I have discovered many things to bring out that adorable toothless grin of yours – you love most when we lay you on your back and stand over you making silly faces. Your vocabulary is also flourishing. You’ve mastered ahhs and ooos and have moved on to tougher a-goos and preliminary raspberries!

Speaking of pediatricians, you love yours. She has a great voice and whenever she speaks your eyes brighten and you turn in her direction. I suppose it’s good that you still like the sound of her voice, seeing as how you had your first round of vaccinations, thus becoming the human pincushion, at your last appointment. I was incredibly stressed as I anticipated this appointment and its aftermath. We’ve been so lucky with you with the sleeping and your amazingly good temper that I feared rocking the boat. I had nothing to worry about – by the time the nurse had completed the three shots you had finished your extremely brief crying spell, started to smile again, nursed like a champ and then slept the entire way home. I was expecting at least a little crankiness or loss of appetite, but so far you’ve been your adorable self and have been feeding like crazy. So, I’ll chalk another two days of worry up to new mommy-hood, and will try my best not to go so crazy the next time around.

This month we took our first two extended car rides with you and you were such a good traveler! I’m ready to pack you up and fly you around to our friends and family who don’t live nearby! You slept for the entire drive to and from the beach to visit Poppop and Mommom. Daddy and I were starving on the way there because we planned to stop for food, but didn’t want to risk waking you with the stillness. On the way out of town we stopped quickly for coffee and Daddy drove circles around the parking lot to keep you from waking up and being unhappy. The Monday after our return, we headed to Baltimore for the day and you were again an angel in the car. We’re so grateful that you’re making everything so easy for us!

Alex, I really don’t have words to describe how much joy you're bringing to Daddy and my lives. We talk about this all of the time…in fact, I’m beginning to wonder what we ever talked about before your arrival. I am making a pact to eek out as much cuddling, snuggling, silly song singing, smiling and general fun times with you over the next six weeks as possible. It’s a good thing that you’ve been sleeping nine hours at night because we’re going to need the energy!

Love,
Mommy

No comments: