
Alex,
Happy one month. We are having a day that makes me feel like you've been a part of our family far longer - you're sleeping like a champ and your feeding sessions are the stuff of modern legend. Today is a gift, and I'm taking advantage of it to capture this moment in print for you to read later.
In the last 30 days you have brought more joy and angst simultaneously to our lives than I ever imagined possible. Being a new parent isn't easy and has taken a lot of energy to figure out, however your general demeanor makes it so rewarding.
Some think brand new babies are boring - you most certainly are not! Every day you do something new. Just today you invented a new face to make us laugh, made 12 noises that I haven't yet heard and you rediscovered your hand, twice. Add to this a giant poop (which Daddy was fortunate enough to change), pees too numerous to count and a few really productive feedings and you have the makings of a banner day. We rejoice in your pees and poops now since you were a slow starter in this area. You've made up for this by amazing us in other ways. You're already achieving so much for your small size and young age - basically, your father and I are proud around the clock. 
For the first few days of your life, your father and I did little else but hold you, watch you sleep, and hold our breath (actually it was I who was holding my breath and Daddy was reminding me to breathe). Amazingly, new babies come with no owners' manual; my coffee maker came with more information on "how to" than you did, but we're managing to figure you out. After realizing that it wasn't a good idea to starve you, we're finding success in keeping you happy. And, you're giving back - you've gained just under two pounds, making you almost 11 lbs already! I will not have to lift weights to get back into shape. All I need do is lift you.
You like short stints in your swing, are remaining ambivalent about your bouncy seat for the moment (I'm convinced that the weird bungee jumping diapered bunny is freaking you out), and you love having your back rubbed. Sleeping on your Daddy's chest is a favorite pastime, and you do not hate laying on your tummy occasionally. We've taken a few walks and you love to be outside. On Tuesday I took you on your first non-pediatrician outing. After two hours of preparation at home and packing a diaper bag that could have sustained us and another three babies for a week, I managed to leave the house for lunch in a restaurant and some shopping - you slept through the entire afternoon! Only once did I need to lunge at you to protect you from some well-meaning but germy passer-by who wanted to touch you. All in all, it was a success.
You've made the last month more exciting and wonderful than any I've ever known. Thank you for arriving safely, being healthy and being you. I can't wait to learn more about you as you grow in the coming months.
Love,
Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment